Sunday 10 November 2013

#Dreaming - #14

"As you move toward a dream, the dream moves toward to you." - Julia Cameron

"Most of us are not raised to actively encounter our destiny.
We may not know that we have one.  As children, we are seldom told we have a place in life that is uniquely ours alone.  Instead, we are encouraged to believe that our life should somehow fulfil the expectations of others, that we will (or should) find our satisfactions as they have found theirs.  Rather than being taught to ask ourselves who we are, we are schooled to ask others.  We are, in effect, trained to listen to others' versions of ourselves.  We are brought up in our life as told to us by someone else!  When we survey our lives, seeking to fulfil our creativity, we often see we had a dream that went glimmering by because we believed, and those around us believed, that the dream was beyond our reach!  Many of us would have been, or at least might have been, done, tried something,  if... if we had known who we really were." - Julia Cameron

Omgoodness - YES!

When I read this I was reminded why I love Julia's writings so much.  When I read her books it feels like she wrote them just for me.  Almost 20 years ago now, a lady told me prophetically, that my {dreams} had died.  I really didn't know what she meant... I didn't actually know I had any.  It's quite an advanced concept.  I have to admit... it's something I am constantly challenged with, with my own girls - how to bring them up to search for their own {dreams} so that destiny doesn't elude them. 

Understanding {dreams} has been a journey of understanding for the past 6 years.  It didn't happen overnight but it's something I'm absolutely passionate about!  Figuring out what I wanted to do with my life - wasn't easy at all!  When you don't know who you are - it's really difficult... I eventually asked myself out of all the things I've got going on in my life - what is it that gives me complete inner joy (besides my family) and it was the joy I felt with a paintbrush in my hand... And when I was creating.

Don't get me wrong - I didn't for one minute think I am a natural or completely brilliant at being an artist...  I work very hard at it... but just think how good I would be by now if I had been doing it my whole adult life.

To me, grasping your {dreams} - is just the first step in the direction of destiny!

When I knew it was what I wanted to do - I started getting serious about my journey to realising these {dreams]... even if it appeared absolutely ludicrous to anyone else.  And for the past 2 years I've been working it... multiple courses, learning, failing, growing and working into the small hours of the morning.  But I can honestly say I've never felt happier.  And I'm excited!  Destiny can do that to you!

I want to teach my girls that {dreams} do come true - they don't drop out of the sky and bump us on the head.  It's a journey!  It's hard work.  But if we give them half a chance - it's a chance of living a truly beautiful life!

2 comments:

  1. JM, that so resonates with me...it was a word in season to read this, because I have also been grappling with the notion of 'what are my dreams'. tx, very thought provoking and motivating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete